Background

2020 Deerfoot Trail Corridor Study

The 2020 Deerfoot Trail Corridor Study was a joint initiative between Alberta Transportation and The City of Calgary to develop a plan to manage traffic and improve safety on Deerfoot Trail.

Significant technical work was completed to confirm and analyze the current problems on Deerfoot Trail. A microsimulation traffic operations model was created for the entire corridor and portions of the adjacent road network using The City’s Regional Transportation Model (which anticipates future travel demand) and more than 4.5 million lines of Bluetooth data (which is converted into origins and destinations to verify how people use Deerfoot Trail today). The traffic operations model, combined with the public input gathered in 2016, identified capacity and weaving (vehicles entering and exiting the freeway in the same space) as the primary current and future issues, as well as problems on the freeway caused by issues on the adjacent road network.

History

The original alignment of Deerfoot Trail was planned to follow the Nose Creek Valley, pass through the community of Inglewood, and then continue along the Bow River Valley. Community opposition and natural and built constraints resulted in the alignment we see today.

Grand opening of Deerfoot Trail Published in the Calgary Herald, January 20, 1975. Mayor Rod Sykes and Highways Minister Clarence Copithorne unveil new Deerfoot Trail sign. Image credit: Glenbow Museum

Treaty 7 Territory Land Acknowledgement

In the spirit of reconciliation, we acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations). The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.

Deerfoot Trail was originally named Blackfoot Trail and was renamed in 1974 after long distance Siksika runner Api-kai-ees, pictured here in 1886. Image credit: Glenbow Museum